About Me

My photo
Welcome to Biddle Bits! My name is Sarah & I believe that *anyone* can create amazing things, if you just work on them one step at a time.
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Halloween cookie-stamp Shortbread Cookies



These dee-lish shortbread cookies are a family favorite - so good, in fact, that we made them as our wedding favors! (erm...not the pumpkin and owl ones...the ones with a "B"...for "Biddle" on them). They are super-tasty and super-easy!

I'm headed to the Southern Bloggers Conference this afternoon, so baked up a Halloween bunch to share with my new blogger-friends! I hope you love these as much as our families do...

Ingredients:
  • cookie stamps (mine are terracotta ones from Rycraft)
  • mixer (stand mixer is best, since the dough gets tough to mix, but a hand mixer also works)
  • 1.5 cups butter, softened 
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4 cups flour
  • gift bags (*if* you're giving them away!)


Step #1: Cream butter and sugar thoroughly. *important because the dough can flake off when stamping if not creamed well.

 


Yes, yes..."Keep Calm and Bake On"...


Step #2: Add flour gradually, one cup at a time. Mix this until well blended. It will look something like this:


 Step #3: Roll into 1-inch balls, and place on an un-greased cookie sheet.
When you get towards the bottom of the dough bowl, you may notice the dough is more crumbly. Not a problem - just take some into your hands and roll it around a bit - the warmth from your hands will soften the butter and smooth out the crumbliness.


 Step #4: Stamp with cookie stamp. (Spray the cookie stamp with non-stick spray (like PAM)). Press down until the dough is about the same width as the stamp. If it doesn't turn out "right", just roll it back into a ball and try again! No worries.



Step #5: Bake at 350-degrees (F) for 17-18 minutes.
I didn't bake them this close together...I just put them all together for picture-sake. Space them out as in the pictures above. Since they're shortbread, they don't really rise, or get wider, which is good when you're trying to stamp a design on a cookie. Typical sugar cookies *probably* wouldn't work because they'd rise, and the stamp-design would turn into a blob :)



 Aren't they adorable!?? I'm sure you can guess the owl and pumpkin are for halloween...but the "B"?...it's for "Biddle Bits" :)

Happy H-OWL-oween!
All packaged up and ready to go!

Step #6: Pour yourself a big ol' glass of milk and ENJOY!! Let me know how they taste :)

For all you bakers (and store-bought cookie Connoisseurs out there), 
What's your favorite type of cookie? Care to share the recipe?!

4 comments:

  1. hey Sarah- great to meet you at the conference. The cookies were great- thanks! looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! I'm glad the cookies were a hit :) I have lots to follow-up on after the conference, but am really excited about all that I learned... I will definitely be in contact with you - it sounds like I could learn so much from your experience! It was nice to meet you too - have a safe trip home, and I'll look forward to catching up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can testify- these were deeelicious. If I wasn't surrounded by a roomful of woman, I may have licked the crumbs from the bottom of the bag... Thank you! lani @ mesocary.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lani, I'm so glad you loved them! When I make them, I have to quickly bag 'em up, so I don't eat every last one of them! It was so nice to meet you, and hope that we do create a "tribe" of local bloggers, so we can meet up again!

    ReplyDelete