About Me

My photo
Welcome to Biddle Bits! My name is Sarah & I believe that *anyone* can create amazing things, if you just work on them one step at a time.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Elephant Nursery Art

 
 
We've been busy working on Baby Biddle's nursery...and ran into an issue finding art for the room. After searching some local stores, etsy and Pinterest, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a one-of-a-kind picture for BB's room.
 
Here's how I did it:
 
Stuff you need:
  • Canvas (whatever size suits your room)
  • Paint - any kind should work
    • I used low-VOC paint, leftover from painting the nursery walls
  • foam paintbrush
  • masking tape or frogtape
  • a ruler (or cut a piece of paper/cardboard into a strip to use as a guide - to make sure your lines are evenly spaced and straight)
  • Shaped vinyl stickers (if you have a Silhouette cutter, you can make your own!)
Step #1: Use masking tape to mark off stripes on your canvas. I chose a diagonal pattern, and had about 2.5" of space between each beige strip of masking tape. I cut a piece of cardboard into a 2.5" wide strip, and used it between strips of masking tape - to make sure my stripes were evenly spaced and straight.
 
Press down all edges to ensure a tight seal to the canvas.
 
Step #2: using a foam paintbrush, paint your first coat of paint over the canvas - painting over the masking tape. Make sure to paint your canvas edges too!
 

 
Once dry, paint a second coat.


Step #3: Once the 2nd coat is dry, carefully pull the masking tape off and throw it away. You'll be left with perfect stripes!

 
Step #4: Take vinyl stickers and determine where you'd like to place them on your canvas. I downloaded the elephant graphic and made these cuties on our Silhouette cutter. The color is a bit off on a computer screen, but the green is a lime green color and the blue is an aqua blue.

 
Step #5: Then, remove the backing from the sticker and adhere to your painted canvas. Repeat if you have several vinyl stickers...


Step #6: Hang up your masterpiece and enjoy your one-of-a-kind handiwork!



No comments:

Post a Comment