About Me

My photo
Welcome to Biddle Bits! My name is Sarah & I believe that *anyone* can create amazing things, if you just work on them one step at a time.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Easy update: Painting picture frames



I came across a framed owl picture in my living room the other day - I've had it for *years*, but I'd almost forgotten about it... the dated brown frame made it seem to disappear on the black hutch where it sits. I thought "it's time for an update!", so I got out my masking tape, opened a can of paint, and got to work.

Project list:
Old wooden frame
masking tape
primer (optional)
paint
foam paint brush
newspaper/old magazine to protect working surface

*If the picture and glass can be removed from your frame, remove it - it makes painting even easier! You can use spray paint in that instance.
Alas, the picture and glass could not be removed from mine, so here goes...

Step 1: wipe down your frame with a damp cloth and dry it completely.

Step 2: using masking tape, tape off the edges that touch the glass. (The masking tape will be *on* the glass)

Step 3: (optional) If you want the paint on your frame to be "durable", paint your wooden frame with primer first, then wait for it to dry before proceeding to the next step.My frame is going to sit on a shelf, and I was feeling lazy, so I didn't prime it. 

Step 4: using a foam paintbrush, or any paintbrush for that matter, paint the frame! (see, I told you this was easy). Wait to dry before adding a second coat of paint. I didn't worry about brush marks - it's hard to see in this photo, but the slight brush marks give it that broken-in look that I was going for.


Step 5: Peel the masking tape off the glass once the paint has been drying for about 5-10 minutes. If there's any dried paint on the glass, you can scrape it off with a fingernail or knife.

Step 6: Let dry for a full 24-hours before putting on a shelf, or hanging on a wall.
Step 7: Stand back and enjoy your newly updated frame!

I love how a little paint takes this piece from the 1980's to 2012! 
It looks really fresh to me, and I actually *notice* the picture now.


Quite a difference, don't you think?
Have you painted any random items around your house lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment