About Me

My photo
Welcome to Biddle Bits! My name is Sarah & I believe that *anyone* can create amazing things, if you just work on them one step at a time.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Wooden Monogram



My name is Sarah, I'm a proud Sorority Alumnae and I love monograms.

So when I ran across pictures of beautiful large wooden monograms for your wall, mantel, front door, etc., I knew I had to have one. ...that is, until I looked at the "finished" ones on etsy and nearly choked at the price. While I LOVED the idea, I just couldn't fork over $150-$200+ for a front door decoration.

Thus, I began an online search for "unfinished wooden monograms" and my heart skipped a beat when I found this lil' puppy for $21 (plus S&H). It's an 18" 3-letter script monogram, unfinished and unpainted. 
I bought it.
un-treated wooden monogram
...and it arrived at my house about a week later.
I'm in love...

I'm still not sure where I'm going to put it, but the painting process has begun.

Project List:
  • fine-grit sandpaper
  • spray paint- primer
  • spray paint - you choose the color
  • polyurethane spray paint - clear
  • Whatever you need to hang it up (ribbon/door hook, etc) - you choose the method.
Instructions:
  • Step #1 - Lightly sand the wooden edges with a fine-grit sandpaper (i used 100-grit, since I had it on-hand) and wipe off the sandpaper dust with a damp cloth. Make sure the wood is completely dry before moving to Step 2. 
  • Step #2 - Spray wood with a light-layer of spray-paint primer, being sure to get all the nooks and crannies (which has proved to be a little difficult). Wait for it to dry, then spray a 2nd light layer. Once dry, repeat the process on the back side of the monogram. Apparently, this wood was very thirsty - it sucked up the paint...so be sure to use plenty of primer! Hang and let dry overnight. Give a light sanding to even things out. Wipe off dust with a damp cloth and let dry.
  • Step #3 - Select the final spray paint color you'd like. I chose Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze paint. Repeat the same spray-paint process as described in Step 2, except using spray paint instead of primer. Hang and let dry. If you want to distress the monogram, now would be the time to do that (brush along the edges with sandpaper until you achieve the distressed look you like).
slightly distressed...
  • Step #4 - To finish things off, spray a coat of clear polyurethane (light layers of paint are best - otherwise you can end up with paint that runs/bubbles in your paint, etc). Hang and let dry overnight. 
*Just* after I sprayed the coat of polyurethane,
so it looks a little hazy 
  • Step #5 - Hang it up! I ultimately decided that the bottom of the stairwell would be a very visible and perfect place for it. (until I change my mind and decide it belongs on our front door, above our mantel, etc...creative expression, right?!)
Here's a little inspiration:
I'm not affiliated with either of these stores, but I think their monogram ideas are beautiful!

Anyone else addicted to monograms? Come on...your secret's safe with me!

1 comment:

  1. I am in the middle of a monogram project (mine's almost twice as big so I'm really nervous about getting this "right"!). I can't decide whether to distress the edges or not ... HELP! I'm a better copier than originator! :)

    ReplyDelete